After putting off working on this project for a bit, I’ve taken in up again this week and successfully used the bluetooth chips to send data between two computers. I set up one of the chips on my server (using a RS-232 adapter board), and used my D-Link DBT-120 bluetooth adapter on my desktop. Using hyperterminal, I was able to send ASCII characters and small files between the two machines without too much trouble. One of the issues I noticed is the inability of the two bluetooth devices to reestablish a connection when one of them is turned off. I think the problem lies with the settings on the ACODE-300 bluetooth chip that I’m using but I am not sure. I need to do more testing, but I’m pleased with the success of the chips so far.
After getting the bluetooth to work between two computers, the next logical step was to test it with the microcontroller that will eventually be placed in the car. I was unable to get the microcontroller to communicate wirelessly. The only reason for this that I can think of is the serial cable may need to be a crossover cable. I have a crossover adapter, but I can’t connect it until I get a male to male gender bender. I’ll probably run down to Radio Shack (they’re not big on carrying useful stuff anymore…) tomorrow to try get one so I can get this thing going.